Rally Jameel 2025 to head off against idyllic backdrop of Petra

Special Rally Jameel 2025 to head off against idyllic backdrop of Petra
1 / 2
Rally Jameel 2025 boasts a record number of participants and international representation, with 70 teams representing 39 countries and 25 motorsport federations. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 26 March 2025
Follow

Rally Jameel 2025 to head off against idyllic backdrop of Petra

Rally Jameel 2025 to head off against idyllic backdrop of Petra
  • Rally Jameel will start in Petra, Jordan, one of the world’s most breathtaking archaeological wonders, before crossing into Saudi Arabia
  • Munir Khoja: The rising interest in Rally Jameel 2025 underlines its significance as a pioneering platform in women’s motorsport

JEDDAH: The fourth Rally Jameel, the world-class navigational rally for women in the region starting on April 22, is set to ignite another exciting year of motorsports action in the Kingdom with a challenging mix of terrains, desert dunes and mountain trails.

This year’s event boasts a record number of participants and international representation, with 70 teams representing 39 countries and 25 motorsport federations, underscoring its global appeal and growing status as a premier motorsport event for women.

For the first time, Rally Jameel will start in Petra, Jordan, one of the world’s most breathtaking archaeological wonders, before crossing into Saudi Arabia.

The six-day journey will cover 1,500 km, traversing five cities, including Tabuk, AlUla, Hail and Qassim. Competitors will navigate through some of the region’s most stunning and historically rich landscapes, with many stages set against the backdrop of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, reinforcing the rally’s role in promoting adventure tourism in Saudi Arabia.

Munir Khoja, managing director of Jameel Motorsport and Marketing Communications at Abdul Latif Jameel Motors, said: “The rising interest in Rally Jameel 2025 underlines its significance as a pioneering platform in women’s motorsport. This year’s edition not only builds on past successes but also introduces new challenges and opportunities for competitors. With an expanded route, the rally elevates the competition, allowing participants to experience a blend of history, strategy and adventure like never before. We look forward to welcoming all participants for what promises to be a milestone edition.”

The 2025 event takes competitors through some of the most breathtaking and rarely explored landscapes of Saudi Arabia. This year’s expanded route offers a test of endurance and skill, blending the thrill of motorsport with the essence of adventure tourism, as participants navigate diverse terrains, from desert dunes to rugged mountain trails.

From the rose-red cliffs of Petra to Tabuk’s mountain landscapes, AlUla’s sandstone formations, Hail’s legacy as an ancient trade hub and Qassim’s deep-rooted heritage in Arabian hospitality, competitors will navigate a course that is as demanding as it is awe-inspiring. Each stage offers an immersive experience in the region’s rich cultural heritage, diverse topography and storied past — transforming the rally into more than just a competition.

Reflecting on her experience, last year’s champion Ewelina Chlebowska said: “Rally Jameel 2024 was an unforgettable experience and winning it was a proud moment that pushed me to my limits. Every stage tested my ability to adapt, strategize and stay focused under pressure. Coming back this year, I’m excited to take on new challenges and see how the rally’s expansion elevates the competition even further.”

Second-place winner Maha Al Hamali added: “This rally is about determination, strategic thinking and skill. Competing alongside incredible women from around the world not only pushes you to be your best but also fosters a sense of unity and mutual respect. The upcoming edition will set a new benchmark, bringing even greater competition and opportunities for growth, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store.”

Since its inception in 2022, Rally Jameel has championed women’s participation in motorsports, aligning with Saudi Arabia’s Vision 2030 by breaking barriers and fostering a platform where skill and determination take center stage. Unlike traditional speed-based rallies, Rally Jameel focuses on navigation and strategy, offering competitors an experience that blends adventure with technical expertise.


Trinity Rodman scores early in return from 8-month injury absence, and US women beat Brazil 2-0

Trinity Rodman scores early in return from 8-month injury absence, and US women beat Brazil 2-0
Updated 47 sec ago
Follow

Trinity Rodman scores early in return from 8-month injury absence, and US women beat Brazil 2-0

Trinity Rodman scores early in return from 8-month injury absence, and US women beat Brazil 2-0
  • Played before a lively crowd of 32,303, this game was billed as the first professional women’s sporting event at SoFi Stadium, the nearly 5-year-old home of the NFL’s Los Angeles Rams
  • The Americans had been 15-0-2 since Hayes took over in June 2024

INGLEWOOD, California: Trinity Rodman drilled her shot into the bottom corner of Brazil’s net and promptly got mobbed by her teammates. She broke away from the goal celebration and grabbed her lower back, pretending to seize up with pain — only to stand up tall and laugh while flipping her pink hair over both shoulders.

After eight months of recovery from back woes, Rodman is feeling close to her old self again. The US women’s national team also showed signs of their top form while coolly handling another world power.

Rodman scored in the fifth minute of her return from a lengthy injury absence, and the Americans beat Brazil 2-0 Saturday in a friendly rematch of the Paris Olympics gold-medal match.

Rodman, the 22-year-old star and Orange County native, delivered her 11th goal for the US by finishing off a brilliant run by Alyssa Thompson. Rodman hadn’t played for the US since the Olympic final due to persistent back problems — hence her cheeky celebration.

“The medical staff was freaking out, but I felt like I had to do it,” Rodman said with a grin. “It felt so good to be in this atmosphere again, to be with the team. The stadium was crazy.”

Phallon Tullis-Joyce made six saves while keeping a clean sheet in the 28-year-old goalkeeper’s US debut. Captain Lindsey Heaps also scored a second-half penalty goal in the first of two California friendlies in four days against Brazil, who lost 2-1 in Paris as the US secured its fifth Olympic gold medal.

“I think it shows where this group is going,” Heaps said. “Our group is just getting better and better, and there’s not massive gaps between players. These young guns coming in ... it’s such a cool thing for us to see.”

Played before a lively crowd of 32,303, this game was billed as the first professional women’s sporting event at SoFi Stadium, the nearly 5-year-old home of the NFL’s Los Angeles Rams.

The teams meet again Tuesday night in San Jose, California.

In their most recent outing in late February, the US women took their first defeat of coach Emma Hayes’ tenure, falling 2-1 to Japan in San Diego in the final of the SheBelieves Cup. The Americans had been 15-0-2 since Hayes took over in June 2024.

Back at it in SoFi, the Americans struck early — and with style.

Studio City native Thompson got a midfield touch and made an impressive run through Brazil’s formation, sending one defender to the grass in confusion before pushing a perfect pass to Rodman for her cool finish.

Rodman’s celebration was a treat as well — for most observers, anyway.

“Except I didn’t think she was pretending,” Hayes said with a grimace. “I will have a word with her, because that was like a ‘cry wolf’ moment. I turned to the physios and said, ‘Her back’s hurting,’ instantly. And then I realized she was tricking us.”

Later in the first half, Rodman appeared to be dealing with actual pain, which she blamed on a charley horse from getting kneed by an opponent. She still played 16 minutes into the second half before coming off.

The US was awarded a penalty when substitute Lily Johannes was tripped in the box. Heaps hammered it home for her 37th goal.

The depleted US defense had several rough moments in front of goal. The Seleção carried significant stretches of play and forced Tullis-Joyce to work hard, but the Long Island native who plays for Manchester United handled every chance capably.

Tullis-Joyce is competing for the first-string job after the retirement of Alyssa Naeher. Her parents and brother attended the match, but they didn’t know she would start until the lineup was announced an hour before kickoff.

“I love a clean sheet,” Tullis-Joyce said. “Happy for my teammates as well. That back line, they really gritted it out. Everybody was putting their body on the line. Credit to Brazil.”

The Americans will be without starting center backs Naomi Girma and Tierna Davidson for the near future. They were replaced by Emily Sonnett and Tara McKeown, who only broke into the US lineup earlier this year.

Two weeks after the Mexico men’s team won the CONCACAF Nations Cup at SoFi, this friendly match was another early chapter in a series of upcoming soccer events in the Los Angeles area, including the 2026 men’s World Cup, the Los Angeles Olympics tournament and probably the Women’s World Cup in 2031.


Benzema breaks Al-Ahli hearts in Sea Derby Special

Benzema breaks Al-Ahli hearts in Sea Derby Special
Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

Benzema breaks Al-Ahli hearts in Sea Derby Special

Benzema breaks Al-Ahli hearts in Sea Derby Special
  • For the 60,000 fans at the King Abdullah Sports City in Jeddah, there was plenty of excitement
  • There was some worrying news for Al-Ittihad fans as goalkeeper Predrag Rajkovic picked up an injury

JEDDAH: It was honors even in a thrilling Sea Derby on Saturday as Al-Ahli drew 2-2 with Al-Ittihad who twice came back to earn a precious point.
A 95th minute strike from Karim Benzema broke the hearts of home fans and put the leaders five points clear at the top of the Saudi Pro League.
For the 60,000 fans at the King Abdullah Sports City in Jeddah, there was plenty of excitement and entertainment in a game that could have gone either way.
There was some worrying news for Al-Ittihad fans as goalkeeper Predrag Rajkovic picked up an injury in the thrilling King’s Cup semifinal win over Al-Shabab on Tuesday but stand-in Mohammed Al-Mahasneh showed his worth early in the first start of the season.
In the eighth minute, he saved from Firas Al-Buraikan’s low shot from inside the area and then got down quickly to deny Ivan Toney from the rebound.
At the other end, Edouard Mendy returned to the number one position and returned to fitness for Al-Ahli, who had not played a competitive game for three weeks. There is no doubt however that his opposite number had more to do in the early exchanges. It could have been worse as Ittihad survived two penalty appeals turned down late in the first half.
The Tigers were, however, starting to look dangerous and just before the break, N’Golo Kante broke into the area, went around the goalkeeper but pulled his shot just wide.
The miss became more painful four minutes after the restart as Al-Ahli took the lead with a simple set piece. Riyad Mahrez swung over a corner kick from the left and Brazilian defender Ibanez climbed high on the edge of the six-yard box to head the Greens into a deserved lead.
It was all looking good for the hosts but then, with 15 minutes remaining, the fans in yellow and black were celebrating. Saleh Al-Shehri dropped deep and his slide rule pass found Moussa Diaby on the right side of the area and the French winger made no mistake with his first time shot.
Then, in the 82nd minute, Al-Ahli were back in front. Kante tried to block a cross but succeeded only in finding Ivan Toney and the England striker shot home from close range.
That strike looked as if it had won a famous victory for the home team but for the second time in four days, Al-Ittihad hit back deep into added time. Abdulelah Al-Amri found Benzema with an exquisite pass to the back post and the former Real Madrid star was never going to miss.
The goal takes the leaders onto 62 points from 26 games, five clear of Al-Hilal. Al-Nassr are third with 54, two and five ahead of Al-Qadsiah and Al-Ahli respectively.


Qatar’s Hit Show wins the Dubai World Cup at Meydan

Qatar’s Hit Show wins the Dubai World Cup at Meydan
Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

Qatar’s Hit Show wins the Dubai World Cup at Meydan

Qatar’s Hit Show wins the Dubai World Cup at Meydan
  • Horse owned by Emir of Qatar’s Wathnan Racing ridden to triumph by jockey Florent Geroux

LONDON: American horse Hit Show, owned by the Emir of Qatar’s Wathnan Racing, clinched victory in the Dubai World Cup’s main event on Saturday, topping a world-class field at Meydan Racecourse in the $12 million feature race.

Trained by Brad Cox, Hit Show was ridden to triumph by jockey Florent Geroux, completing the race in 2:03:50 minutes and securing the $6.96 million winner’s prize with just over a half-length lead.

American contender Mixto, owned by Calumet Farm and ridden by Frankie Dettori, finished second for trainer Doug O’Neill, earning $2.4 million.

Japan’s Forever Young, owned by Susumu Fujita and trained by Yoshito Yahagi, placed third under jockey Ryusei Sakai, collecting $1.2 million.

Saudi Arabia’s Walk of Stars, representing Athbah Racing, finished in fourth place.


Fenerbahce’s Mourinho banned for three games after nose grab incident in Istanbul derby

Fenerbahce’s Mourinho banned for three games after nose grab incident in Istanbul derby
Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

Fenerbahce’s Mourinho banned for three games after nose grab incident in Istanbul derby

Fenerbahce’s Mourinho banned for three games after nose grab incident in Istanbul derby
  • The incident occurred at the end of the Turkish Cup quarter-finals
  • A mass scuffle had broken out between both sets of players

ISTANBUL: Fenerbahce manager Jose Mourinho has been banned for three matches and handed a fine of around 6,000 pounds ($7,734.00) after grabbing the nose of Galatasaray coach Okan Buruk in the Istanbul derby, the Turkish Football Federation (TFF) said on Saturday.
The incident occurred at the end of the Turkish Cup quarter-finals on Wednesday, which Mourinho’s side lost 2-1 at home.
A mass scuffle had broken out between both sets of players, with the referee sending three players off, two from Galatasaray, and after the final whistle the 62-year-old Portuguese appeared to pinch Buruk’s nose who then fell dramatically to the ground.
“Mourinho shall be banned from entering the dressing room and the bench for three official matches,” TFF said in a statement.
Mourinho will miss the games against Trabzonspor, Sivasspor and Kayserispor.
Fenerbahce are second in the Super Lig, trailing leaders Galatasaray by six points with a game in hand.


PSG win 13th French title ahead of Aston Villa Champions League clash

PSG win 13th French title ahead of Aston Villa Champions League clash
Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

PSG win 13th French title ahead of Aston Villa Champions League clash

PSG win 13th French title ahead of Aston Villa Champions League clash
  • PSG needed just a draw in front of their own fans to be confirmed as champions again
  • Desire Doue’s strike early in the second half decided the game in PSG’s favor, allowing Luis Enrique’s team to take the title with six matches still to play

PARIS: Paris Saint-Germain clinched the Ligue 1 title on Saturday with a 1-0 win at home against Angers as they prepare for a Champions League quarter-final showdown with Aston Villa.
PSG needed just a draw in front of their own fans to be confirmed as champions again, having started the day a huge 21 points clear of nearest challengers Monaco with seven matches left.
Desire Doue’s strike early in the second half decided the game in PSG’s favor, allowing Luis Enrique’s team to take the title with six matches still to play.
It is a fourth consecutive Ligue 1 title for the club from the French capital and their 11th in the last 13 seasons, highlighting the extent to which they have dominated domestically since being taken over by Qatar Sports Investments in 2011.
“Our ambition is to win everything,” said captain Marquinhos, who has now won 10 titles since joining the club in 2013, to broadcaster beIN Sports.
“It is a nice feeling. It is the reward for the work we have put in throughout the season, for our consistency, and the team deserves it,” added the Brazilian center-back, who will be suspended for the first leg against Villa.
PSG’s overall tally of 13 French league titles is three more than Saint-Etienne, who are the next most successful club with 10 but have not been champions since 1981.
Marseille have won nine titles, while Nantes and Monaco have each been champions on eight occasions.
The extent to which winning the French league has become a routine exercise for the Parisian outfit helps explain why celebrations were far from excessive on a beautiful spring day in the city.
However, Luis Enrique was raised aloft by members of his coaching staff while the PSG players undertook a lap of honor of the Parc des Princes pitch.
The trophy ceremony will take place at a later date, with PSG maintaining their focus on the European clash with Villa, who visit the Parc des Princes for the first leg of their quarter-final on Wednesday, before the return in England on April 15.
However, PSG have another objective in their sights in the league, one which would make this title triumph stand out above all others.
They remain undefeated after 28 matches, with 23 wins and just five draws, and are on course to become the first team to complete a Ligue 1 campaign without losing a game.
The closest any French side has come to an unbeaten season remains Nantes, who went undefeated through their first 32 matches before losing their only game on the way to winning the title in 1994/95.
That was a 38-game season, while PSG will only play 34 matches in this campaign, with the league having recently been reduced from 20 clubs to 18.
They will not play again in Ligue 1 until a home meeting with Le Havre on April 19, with next week’s trip to Nantes postponed to April 22 in order to allow PSG to recover in between the two legs of their tie against Villa.
Ousmane Dembele, PSG’s top scorer with 32 goals in all competitions this season, was rested at kick-off against Angers, having netted twice in the 4-2 midweek win over second-tier Dunkerque in the semifinals of the French Cup.
Bradley Barcola, the team’s second-top marksman on 18 goals, was also left out of the starting line-up and it was far from a vintage performance by the home side.
They were perhaps fortunate early on when Angers forward Esteban Lepaul ran through on goal before being outmuscled by Willian Pacho, the challenge a fair one in the eyes of the referee.
Doue was on hand to convert from a Khvicha Kvaratskhelia cross 10 minutes into the second half as he scored his 11th goal in all competitions since signing from Rennes at the start of the season.
That proved enough for PSG to win the game and take the title, maintaining Luis Enrique’s record of having won every domestic trophy since he took over prior to last season.
Monaco are in action later away to Brest, while Lyon host Lille in Saturday’s other Ligue 1 game, a key encounter in the fight for Champions League qualification.